Caramel…just the mention of this word renders images of rich, golden brown syrup dripping out of a chunk of delicious chocolate… *snaps back to reality * Anyway. Caramel is a luscious shade that lies somewhere between gold and brown. It’s understated, yet sexy, and has a luxurious appeal to it. Highlighting your hair in this gorgeous shade is bound to make you look polished and sophisticated (even if you’re totally grunge and bohemian on the inside). And the best part? Caramel is one shade that flatters every natural hair color out there – black, brown, red, AND blonde. That means there is no dearth of ways to style this beautiful shade as highlights in your hair. So, OF COURSE, we had to compile our top picks of ways to style your caramel highlights.
But wait! Before we jump into our list, let’s look at how you can give yourself caramel highlights at home. After all, not everyone has a pretty penny to drop at a salon every time hair inspiration strikes.
What You Need
- Old towel
- Box of caramel hair color
- Hair brush
- Thin hair tint brush
- Fine toothed comb
What To Do
- Mix and prepare your caramel hair color in a bowl according to the instructions given on the box.
- Brush your hair to remove all knots and tangles.
- Drap an old towel around your shoulders to avoid staining your clothes.
- Part your hair down the middle.
- Starting from near your face, pick up thin 1/2 inch sections of hair that you want to highlight and apply the caramel dye to them from the roots to the ends with the thin hair tint brush. When choosing which sections to highlight, think of where the light would naturally hit your hair.
- When highlighting the hair on the sides and the back of your head, apply the dye only from the mid-lengths of your hair and pull it down till the ends with the help of a fine-toothed comb.
- Leave the color on for the time duration indicated on the box. It should be around 25-30 minutes.
- Check the dyed hair every 15 minutes to see what shade your hair has reached.
- Wash off the caramel dye with water until it runs clear.
- Shampoo and condition your hair.
Well, now that you’ve successfully highlighted your hair with a beautiful caramel shade, let’s look at the many gorgeous ways you can style it.
30 Stunning Ideas For Styling Your Caramel Highlights
1. Caramel Highlights On Jet Black Hair
If you have naturally jet black hair, let me start off by saying that I envy you. Because the beauty of jet black hair is elevated by highlights, no matter what color they are in. The caramel highlights in this style look like they are just melting down her coal black hair.