The idea of straightening the hair was a big hit from its inception. Because one—it just looks neat and tamed, two—it makes you look effortlessly stylish. But, does that mean you use the flat iron every single time you need to look presentable? If that’s the only solution, then I’m going to burn my hair out anytime soon.
So, how do you deal with it? Straightening creams are our best bet. They take the frizz out and straighten them without letting your hair fall flat. Now, how do we know what brands to use? Don’t worry we’ll discuss exactly that and answer some questions too. Read through!
Best Hair Straightening Creams
1. Streax Pro Hair Straightening Cream, Intense
This product actually boasts of giving you silkier, smoother and straighter locks in the first use itself. It comes with silicone solvents that help you achieve straight hair and leave your hair feeling much more manageable. The cream is water-resistant and so holds the straight look for longer than most other hair straightening creams.
- Detangles and smoothes out the hair
- You can use the product at least five times, depending on the length of your hair
- Smells great
- The consistency of the product is not thick.
- Takes a while to get the product off the hair.
2. Wellastrate Intense Straightening Cream
This product has a new cationic formula which ensures a much stronger structural base. It comes with a hydro-safe complex which helps your hair retain moisture for a long time. It also prevents your hair from drying out. It has been dermatologically tested to check its compatibility with skin.
- Adds sheen to your hair.
- Smoothens it out.
- The product comes across as a little too strong.
3. Marc Anthony True Professional Simply Straight Intense
This product is perfected with the use of silicone and silk fiber. It is alcohol-free and was formulated under the supervision of the renowned hair stylist, Marc Anthony. It comes with a unique formula that helps repel sweat and prevents damage from heat.
- Tames frizzy hair very easily.
- Smells great.
- Long lasting.
- Hair might feel oily on the second day.
4. L’Oreal Paris Studio Line Silk & Gloss Hot Straight Cream
This product comes with special silk micro fibers that help keep your hair straight for almost 48 hours. It also has a special thermo protect feature which not only gives you silky, smooth and shiny hair, but it also protects your hair from damage.
- Very affordable.
- Doubles up as a heat protectant too.
- Adds shine and makes hair extremely smooth.
- Hair might feel greasy after two days.
5. Glatt Schwarzkopf Hair Straightener Cream
Glatt’s hair straightening cream has a keratin-rich formula that protects” your hair from damage>. It comes with a neutralizer. The product claims to give you pin-straight hair if used in accordance with the instructions given.
- Very easy to use and extremely effective.
- Value for money.
- Delivers what it promises.
6. Redken Sheer Straight 06
This product comes with the goodness of a heat-protective balm and gel that give your hair a silky-smooth shine. It helps tame your curls and frizz. It also contains proteins that help improve the strength of your hair. It doesn’t leave your hair lifeless like most other straightening creams.
- Conditions and smoothens the hair.
- Adds shine and makes it look healthier.
7. Matrix Opti Straight Cream
This product incorporates an anti-breakage system. It doesn’t just straighten your hair permanently, but also deeply conditions it. It has a beautiful floral fragrance which makes it stand out among other products which tend to emit a strong ammonia smell.
- Ammonia free.
- Smells great.
- It is known to condition your hair.
- Does not come with a neutralizer.
8. Kiehl’s Heat-Protective Silk-Straightening Cream
This straightening cream is ideal for wavy, frizzy and unmanageable hair. It can help you smooth out your hair or achieve poker straight hair as well. It doesn’t weigh your hair down. In fact, the cream makes it feel weightless and light after using. It comes with extracts of soy beans, sesame and sunflower seeds. You can achieve silk-straight and smooth hair.
- Helps with split ends.
- Tames flyaways which are the most difficult to handle.
- It’s non-greasy.
- Paraben free.
- It’s not very effective on extremely curly hair.
9. Tigi Bed Head Straighten Out Straightening Cream
This one again is for those who are not looking to straightening their hair permanently. It gives you absolute straight and smooth hair for 48 long hours. The best part is that it doesn’t wear out even in as much as 98% high humidity. It helps enhance the texture of your hair and makes it more manageable.
- It’s hydrating.
- Very little product needed.
- Some people find it greasy and oily.
10. Keratin Complex Infusion
This super-easy-to-use cream is non-sticky and non-greasy as well. It is perfect for achieving straight hair without having to use” a flat iron> to straighten out your otherwise frizzy, curly hair. It comes with keratin protein which helps protect your hair while straightening them temporarily.
- Very effective and worth the money
- Works well in highly humid places too
- Don’t even need a straightener if you have wavy hair
- Beware of knock off products when ordered online.
11. Suave Professionals Sleek Anti-Frizz Cream
This cream can help you straighten your hair for the day. It comes with silk protein and the critical vitamin E that help maintain the strength and health” of hair> while keeping your frizzy hair at bay every day. It is also an excellent product to add sheen to dull and lifeless hair. It will leave your hair looking and feeling silky smooth.
- Tames frizz like no other
- Gives a healthy shine
- One pump is enough for a single-use
- Some might find it greasy if applied on top of the hair.
- Might lead to a dry scalp for some people, so do a patch test.
12. Sunsilk Straighten-Up 24/7 Creme
This is suitable desiring a smooth hair texture and not poker straight hair. It is a great product as it takes away all the frizz while adding a smooth and straight look to your hair. It works wonderfully on dry hair as well. Another plus is that it doesn’t make your hair feel greasy after the use. In fact, it makes your hair light-weight.
- Acts as a heat protectant
- Smells great
- Some might find the smell overpowering
13. L’Oreal X-tenso Straightener Cream
This kit, from L’Oreal X-Tenso range, contains a smoothening cream and a neutralizer. As it comes with an instruction booklet, you can use it without any external help. It gives you poker straight hair and makes your hair manageable and smooth by controlling frizz. It gives you a professional look, and your hair stays that way for 5 months.
- Controls frizz and tames highly curly hair too
- Leaves your hair soft and silky
14. Matrix Opti Smooth Permanent Smoothing System – Sensitized Kit
The Matrix Opti Smooth Permanent Smoothing System is an end-to-end kit, just what we need. Apart from the straightening cream that works like magic, the shampoo and conditioner prevent hair-breakage. For poker straight hair, use a flat iron; just air dry and run your fingers for smooth and silky hair that is straight while retaining the original volume. Either way, you cannot keep your hands off your hair.
- Gives you salon-like results
- Works for any type of hair, from normal to thick curls
- Deeply conditions your hair
- It’s an entire kit, so takes care of everything for you
15. L’anza Healing Smooth Smoother Straightening Balm
If you are looking for something that is more soothing yet does the job for you, you should try and get your hands on this product. It tones and tames down the unruly frizz that is impossible to otherwise deal with. It does not smell like those typical heavy duty products and feels good even while just leaving it to air dry.
- Very easy to use
- You just need to dab a little for each use
- Light and smooth
- You need to use a styling tool for it to last longer
16. Wella Wellastrate Cream Neutralizer with Built-in Conditioner
This cream contains jojoba oil which protects hair from damage. It’s available in three variants—mild, normal and strong; if your hair is less curly then go for mild. Go for the stronger variant if your hair is curly. The package comes with a straightening cream and a neutralizer which are easy to use. It gives you pin straight hair for 2 months and effectively controls frizz.
- Retains volume and does not fall flat
- Affordable and effective
- Have to use a straightener to get pin straight hair
17. Streax Pro Hair Straightener Cream Mild
Streax Pro Straightener Cream Mild, as the name suggests, is a milder version which is primarily meant for naturally smooth and wavy hair. If you are looking for something light and effective, try this version instead of the intense variant.
- Makes your hair frizz-free
- Smoothens your hair
- You cannot see visible results without using a straightener
18. Thermashape Straightening Creme
Looking for a creme that can straighten your hair, prevent breakage and smoothen it out? Look no further than this product. It also acts as a heat protectant, thus reducing breakage and split ends.
- Looks great when combined with blow drying
- Stays longer on thick hair too
- It might feel a little heavy
- It’s on the expensive side
19. Berina Extra Straight – Straightener Cream And Neutralizer
Berina Extra Straight Straightener Cream And Neutralizer is one of the most sought-after straightening creams available out there. When you have sudden party plans and cannot make it to the salon, here’s something that will come to your rescue. All of it in about 30 minutes. Who can say no to that? Shining, smooth, silky and straight, you heard it right!
- Easy and quick to work with
- Unisexual cream
- Adds shine and glow to your hair
- It is not very effective on extremely curly hair.
20. Giovanni Straight Fast Straightening Elixir
Giovanni Straightening Elixir is an all natural organic product that tames the unruliest hair and promises to make it manageable. It smooths the curls and relaxes the waves, giving your hair a much straighter look. Your hair feels soft and sleek in just one application. It is made with a lightweight crystal gel formulation that does not weigh your hair down. The natural botanicals rejuvenate your hair and give it the ultimate shine.
- Tames flyaways and frizzy hair effectively
- Adds shine to your hair
- Very easy to apply
* Please note that prices may vary depending on the seller and the brand. Not all products are available and/or shipped to India.
*Subject to Availability
Still have doubts? Don’t you worry for we have the answers to some of the frequently asked questions. Check them out…
Why Should You Consider Hair Straightening Creams?
- If you often use styling tool, especially flat iron, straightening creams are a closest second without the damage from all the heat.
- It smoothens your hair, takes away frizz and gives it a naturally straight look. It makes it so much more easier to deal with your hair
- Straightening creams add a glossy sheen to your hair, making it look healthy and well maintained. Some argue that they are loaded with chemicals, but it’s better than using gels, sprays and then expose them to heat on a regular basis.
How To Take Care Of Straightened Hair At Home?
- You need to understand that making a decision to straighten your hair temporarily or permanently means that you are signing up to take good care.
- To begin with, always use a good shampoo that is meant for your hair type. If you have other issues like dandruff, dry scalp, etc. make sure you use something that address those specific problems.
- Do not pick up any random shampoo and conditioner especially if you have colored hair. More often than not, all the big brands have their line of shampoos and conditioners, using them makes a difference to the effectiveness too. Lastly, wash your hair every third day.
- Try and use Vitamin E based oils that infuse protein and strengthen your hair, because we are putting our hair through all of this.
- Oil your hair as often as you can and get hair spas too.
- Remember to look for hair products specifically made for straightened hair.
- Do not brush your hair while it’s wet. Rather gently run your fingers.
- Always detangle your hair with a wide-toothed comb.
- Air dry your hair as much as you can and blow-dry/straighten it only when needed.
After working in Marketing and Business Development for a few years, Pratima Ati jumped ship to pursue two things she loved – fashion and writing. She’s now a full-time Fashion & Lifestyle writer and has never looked back ever since. She sleeps early, reads often, and when she can’t, she finally gives a closure to all the characters living in her drafts. Sometimes, they pass off as poetry too! That, and her training in Indian classical music and playing (learning) the veena keep her sane, civil, and bearable.